"God is more interested in your character than your comfort..."

"...I used to think that life was hills and valleys…I don't believe that anymore. Rather than life being hills and valleys, I believe that it's kind of like two rails on a railroad track, and at all times you have something good and something bad in your life…You can focus on your purposes, or you can focus on your problems. If you focus on your problems, you're going into self-centeredness, "which is my problem, my issues, my pain." But one of the easiest ways to get rid of pain is to get your focus off yourself and onto God and others.” ~R. Warren

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



INEPT.

I am considering buying a new computer.  Until about a month ago, I hadn't even considered the possibility, because my Macbook has been a trusty friend for these past few years.  However, it is becoming a bit elderly.  I can't add anymore programs because the memory is full and I can't open up more than one application at a time without it freaking out and slowing down.  It has become quite a thorn in my side.

This might sound weird, but the other day, I felt like God prompted me to think about possibly investing in a new computer.  It is not something I would ever think to buy, especially in a time when my resources are extremely limited, due to my illness. However, my main outlets/ ways of coping with my illness right now are photography and writing, both of which are done on my computer.  So for right now, I am researching my options, saving up and trying to decide what computer I would like to buy when the time comes.

After spending a good deal of time on the Apple website, I have decided I am a computer idiot.  I don't know the difference between a GB and MB (is that even the right letters?)  And what's the difference between the memory and the RAM or are they the same thing?  And what do I REALLY need to increase my ability to edit my photos and what is just overpriced?  And what is a GHz?  (I actually did google all these things so I won't look like an idiot the next time I make it to the Apple store...)

To make matters worse, I made my way over to the Adobe website to check out photoshop programs and there are so many different versions ranging from $100-$2,000! Which one do I need?  And would I even be able to figure out Adobe Photoshop if I end up investing in a program someday?  My confidence is waning....

I have to say though, as I am writing I am realizing something profound.  While these type of experiences are both humbling and frustrating, I also find a certain kind of excitement in them.  Sometimes I grow tired of the monotany of my comfort zone.  I tend to do the things I feel good at and leave the rest alone.  This is an opportunity to learn something that I am not good at.  Just think of how good it would feel if I grew confident in my knowledge of computers and photoshop: two things that scare me to death!  It would be an accomplishment indeed.

Here are my goals:  First,I want to learn some basic terms so I can make an informed decision on which computer to buy.  Second, assuming I can save enough to buy photoshop someday, I would like to go to lessons at the apple store, so I don't spend a lot of money on a program that I don't know how to use.  Third, I would like learn how to organize my files better. I feel like such a computer slob.

More than anything, I want to learn how to have fun with my photos and my writing and use my computer as a tool for refining these skills...Wish me luck!  (I'm going to need it...)

3 comments:

crimsongold said...

Yay for learning new things! To be quite honest, learning about and participating in races (i.e. triathlon, 1/2 marathon, and now a full marathon) felt a little like how you are explaining learning about your computer. There is almost a whole new language to learn. Things you never knew existed ... and it's kind of exciting to learn!

So, go for it, Bree! Tackle learning these new things--and then tell me what you learned for the next time I need a new computer. :)

Bree said...

It is hard to jump into something new when you feel like everyone around you already knows what they are doing. I am excited about your marathon and about learning about computers. And yes, once I am a computer expert (haha)I can help you out! I might overwhelm you with all my newly learned computer jargon though. Haha just kidding... :-)

Unknown said...

Bree...I am right there with you...PREACH IT GIRL!!! :)