"God is more interested in your character than your comfort..."

"...I used to think that life was hills and valleys…I don't believe that anymore. Rather than life being hills and valleys, I believe that it's kind of like two rails on a railroad track, and at all times you have something good and something bad in your life…You can focus on your purposes, or you can focus on your problems. If you focus on your problems, you're going into self-centeredness, "which is my problem, my issues, my pain." But one of the easiest ways to get rid of pain is to get your focus off yourself and onto God and others.” ~R. Warren

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



FIRST!

I think most of us have good intentions.  We want to lose weight, eat healthy, connect with God, and serve others.  But the truth is, we don't DO it.  Why?  Because there is a black hole between our intentions and our lives.

I think one of the greatest dangers in life is distraction.  I know I fall prey to its bait all the time.  Life is full of things to do and people to text and sometimes I just forget why I'm here and what I'm doing.

The past few weeks, I've been doing a little experiment.  Instead of spending time reading my Bible and journaling when I'm fully awake, in the mood, have my tasks done, and have finished my yoga-- I'm just doing it.  First thing.  It's sloppy and short and sometimes not fully coherent.  But I'm doing it FIRST.  (Most days I try not even to look at my phone before reading and journaling, although sometimes I just can't help myself!)  And you know what?  It's been awesome.

I guess for me, FIRST means first thing in the morning.  For you, FIRST might mean first thing after work or FIRST thing after getting your kids to sleep.  It certainly doesn't have to be in the morning. Since I don't work, that just happens to be my own personal 'FIRST.'

Just a thought to share today...

6 comments:

Tracy said...

What a great reminder. Thanks - you hit the nail on the head.

Bree said...

I'm glad it was encouraging, Tracy! It's definitely a life-long lesson for all of us!

Unknown said...

found your blog through Creative Connection USA, and i love it! FIRST means in the a.m. for me too, but it's still a daily struggle...keep writing. it's fantastic =)

Bree said...

Thanks so much Debbie! I've been a little of my game with blogging this past month. Thanks for encouraging me to get back to my writing again! :)

crimsongold said...

"Life is full of things to do and people to text." Ah, my life in a nutshell. ;)

Bree said...

Yes, that is the challenge! ;)