"God is more interested in your character than your comfort..."

"...I used to think that life was hills and valleys…I don't believe that anymore. Rather than life being hills and valleys, I believe that it's kind of like two rails on a railroad track, and at all times you have something good and something bad in your life…You can focus on your purposes, or you can focus on your problems. If you focus on your problems, you're going into self-centeredness, "which is my problem, my issues, my pain." But one of the easiest ways to get rid of pain is to get your focus off yourself and onto God and others.” ~R. Warren

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



The Constant Lesson.

I wish all lessons in life stuck in my long-term memory.  Some things in life do that-- like the multiplication tables or lyrics from a song.  So here's my question: Why can't humility be a one-time lesson?

For the first time in a long time, I've had to remember what it's like to think about EVERY step today.  Every time I've wanted a glass of water or needed to go upstairs, I've sat and thought about it for much too long.  Why?  Because my energy is almost completely sapped.  In fact, if you were to look around my house right now, you would probably be able to tell the story of my day.  The brown sugar is resting on the counter from this morning's oatmeal, there is an empty jar of pickles on the counter from lunch and my mail is strewn across the counter-- unopened.  Why?  Because every action in life requires energy and I'm just too tired to put life away right now.

Which leads me to my point, sickness requires a constant lesson in humility.  It's two steps forward-- one step back.  Today, I will have to ask my husband and my family to help me do things just yesterday I was perfectly capable of... And yet, that is all part of that character-producing, stomach-churning, constant thorn in my side which is the lesson of humility.

I wonder if I will ever get it?

2 comments:

Aunt Di said...

I think you "get it" in small pieces, not one big chunk of humility. I dont think there is a "formula" for the process, which is frustrating to us. You keep on "showing up" for the process and eventually you may observe that you've grown and acquired some of the humility you seek.

Bree said...

I like that! I've settled down a bit since writing this blog post... haha...yesterday was a rough day! Thanks for the bit of good advice!