"God is more interested in your character than your comfort..."

"...I used to think that life was hills and valleys…I don't believe that anymore. Rather than life being hills and valleys, I believe that it's kind of like two rails on a railroad track, and at all times you have something good and something bad in your life…You can focus on your purposes, or you can focus on your problems. If you focus on your problems, you're going into self-centeredness, "which is my problem, my issues, my pain." But one of the easiest ways to get rid of pain is to get your focus off yourself and onto God and others.” ~R. Warren

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Child's Pose.

I'm not really a 'yoga' kind of person, if you know what I mean.  I don't mean that I've never done it or never enjoyed it.  I guess before I was sick, I had a different mentality about it.  I felt like if I were going to be at the gym for an hour, I'd better make it count.  The truth is, quick results are not really what yoga has to offer.

I told my doctor on Monday about the 'exercise' I'd been trying to attain (15 measly minutes of walking/day) and I whined about how even that was doing me in.  He suggested trying meditation and yoga.

If you are at all like me, the word 'meditation' conjures an image of a dim, steamy room filled with mangy- haired hippies humming in unison.  Not exactly my crowd.

However, I've been learning yoga this week in the comfort of my living room (through our Apple TV) and have found it to be surprisingly doable and enjoyable for my flimsy, weak little body.  That is not to say that I don't get tired, but I find that yoga is perhaps the one activity that runs at my speed right now.  When I walk in my neighborhood, I find myself starring at those toned runners and mom's with running strollers as they whizz past me, as I stumble along.  Not how you want to feel when you are 27...  But yoga is actually quite...right.  I can't explain it.  I'm not feeling a lot of result in terms of muscle of course.  (I am doing beginner's yoga, so I wouldn't expect to.)  But I do see a difference in posture, energy, confidence and even a little bit in my mental state.

It's pretty much amazing.

3 comments:

Lynn White said...

You have sold me on seriously trying yoga! Lots of people have suggested it, but I keep holding back out of fear that I can't do it.

You probably don't remember this, but when I was your age I was having lots of health issues and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I remember saying that if turning 30 felt like 60 I was so afraid of what 40 would be like. Of course, I could never has imagined what I'd have experienced by then, but God has always moved at just my speed and it is clear he is moving at yours as well. I've had many cycles of tremendous "productivity" followed by times of complete "debilitation". Not all the times I now see as being the most productive were the times when I was phydically healthy, though! God can and does work through us even when we are bedridden. I see him working through you and while I have been praying for health for you for over a decade now, I hope you will remember that our physical and spiritual health don't have to coincide!

Of course, I am still rejoicing that your physical health is improving and pray it will continue to!

Bree said...

Lynn-

I really appreciate your encouraging words. I don't remember the exact time when you were diagnosed and at that time I was probably too young to be tuned in...However, I am very aware of it now (esp with my mom) and feel for you. I very much agree that the spirit can be strong even when the body is weak...A hard lesson. Thanks for keeping up with the blog! I appreciate my few steady readers! :)

Bree said...

Let me know how the yoga goes too :)