"God is more interested in your character than your comfort..."

"...I used to think that life was hills and valleys…I don't believe that anymore. Rather than life being hills and valleys, I believe that it's kind of like two rails on a railroad track, and at all times you have something good and something bad in your life…You can focus on your purposes, or you can focus on your problems. If you focus on your problems, you're going into self-centeredness, "which is my problem, my issues, my pain." But one of the easiest ways to get rid of pain is to get your focus off yourself and onto God and others.” ~R. Warren

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



CREATIVITY.

Creativity has saved my sanity in sickness. During my really bad Lyme days, it is almost impossible to concentrate or create, so I just give up. BUT…on days when I am recovering, it is just the thing to get my mind working again.
I constantly go through different seasons of creating, which I hear is normal for the artistic process. But, as a very structured person, this frustrates my intense need for consistency in a time in my life when I can’t be consistent or committed to almost anything. But still, in every season, God gives me a new wave of drive to focus on the creative endeavor at hand. Creativity opens up what has been shut down by sickness.
At times, I am intense about playing my guitar and new song ideas will flood my mind. Other times, I fix my eyes on photography and focus growing in my skills in that area. When neither of these things are striking me, I turn to writing children’s stories or journaling. When all of things aren’t working, I start a blog. Haha Just kidding. But you get the idea. Creativity is a big part of my life, survival and healing process.
Sometimes I feel like my endeavors are fruitless and it frustrates me to not be better at each of these skills, but it is all part of the process, part of the healing. For me, to give up on creativity would almost be like giving up on healing. Whether you are healthy or sick, I would definitely recommend trying to find creative outlets in your life. It certainly can’t hurt.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am in need of music that would flow
Over my fretful, feeling finger-tips,
Over my bitter-tainted, trembling lips,
With melody, deep, clear, and liquid-slow.
Oh, for the healing swaying, old and low,
Of some song sung to rest the tired dead,
A song to fall like water on my head,
And over quivering limbs, dream flushed to glow!

There is a magic made by melody:
A spell of rest, and quiet breath, and cool
Heart, that sinks through fading colors deep
To the subaqueous stillness of the sea,
And floats forever in a moon-green pool,
Held in the arms of rhythm and of sleep.
-Elizabeth Bishop

Bree said...

One of my ABSOLUTE favorites.