"God is more interested in your character than your comfort..."

"...I used to think that life was hills and valleys…I don't believe that anymore. Rather than life being hills and valleys, I believe that it's kind of like two rails on a railroad track, and at all times you have something good and something bad in your life…You can focus on your purposes, or you can focus on your problems. If you focus on your problems, you're going into self-centeredness, "which is my problem, my issues, my pain." But one of the easiest ways to get rid of pain is to get your focus off yourself and onto God and others.” ~R. Warren

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



CONSTANTS.


One of my favorite phrases is “the only constant is change.” While it is true that life is always changing, I have found that there are certain things that I can count on to stay the same: the sun rising and setting, the seasons changing, my mom making Autumn soup in September, family getting together in November and December, etc…The older I get, the more I truly take comfort in these things. They give my life a sense of rhythm.
Another example is that when we change the clocks for Daylight Savings time, it always feels strange how it is dark so early. Without fail, the clocks are turned back on set on a specific day each fall. In our minds, we KNOW that it will get dark earlier. And yet, somehow, it will never cease to amaze us for that first week of adjustment that it is only 7 o’clock when it feels like at least 8 or 9. In a strange way, this comforts me.
And so I’ve concluded that during this season of sickness in my life, I want to create as many sensible “constants” in my life as I can. One of my constants is a cup of tea each day. It might sound ridiculous, but I take so much joy in both making and drinking my morning tea now. My latest tea habit consists of a lovely cup of British Breakfast tea, a squirt of honey and a splash of soymilk. It is quite delicious. Somehow, when I sit down for my morning tea, whether I am miserably sick or surprisingly energetic, it brings me a sense that I can make it through my day, whatever it will look like.


2 comments:

Tara said...

"The only constant is change" has been one of my themes in life lately...so so much! Since I've been living in a place where I can't count on the usual things-ie clocks don't change, Christmas isn't celebrating quite the same, etc. I keep having to make my own constants and traditions. It's like putting some kind of pattern into chaos and keeping something familiar in the unknown. Somehow, it's comforting to find things that can be constants. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, you really are living in a time of change, aren't you friend? But there is good things about change and good things about keeping a few things sacred and unchanged in the daily routines of our lives...