"God is more interested in your character than your comfort..."

"...I used to think that life was hills and valleys…I don't believe that anymore. Rather than life being hills and valleys, I believe that it's kind of like two rails on a railroad track, and at all times you have something good and something bad in your life…You can focus on your purposes, or you can focus on your problems. If you focus on your problems, you're going into self-centeredness, "which is my problem, my issues, my pain." But one of the easiest ways to get rid of pain is to get your focus off yourself and onto God and others.” ~R. Warren

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Zone.

Quite a long time ago, I wrote about sugar and how it is supposed to affect Lyme Disease.  People recommended eating natural sugars rather than processed (I think it was mango instead of ice cream...)  I of course, refused.  I am a sweets nut.  I love creamy ice cream, smooth frozen yogurt, chocolately brownies and every sort of heaven out there...  In spite of this, I feel I have a relatively disciplined approach to sweets... um...most of the time...  But that does not mean I'm willing to give them up completely.   


Recently I asked my doctor (in a surprising flood of openness) if there was anything I could do to help my health through diet.  He asked me to list my daily routine of foods and he immediately said  I needed to cut my carb intake and increase my fat intake.  I grew up during the 'low fat' craze, which says cut down your fat to nothing and fill your stomach with whatever low-fat items are out there...  I also jumped on the 'whole grain' bandwagon, which to my surprise my doctor was not thrilled with in conjunction to my other eating habits.  He said some whole grain in fine, but unless i have other fats in my diet and proteins, he said I will not be gaining the energy that I need.  He recommended the basic of idea of the 'zone' diet as a guideline.

Hmmm.  This was a breakthrough for me.  

Now, my initial thought is-- no way you are going to make me change my ways!  And then I thought to myself...Wait a second, I asked him the question!

So for the past 2 months or so, I've been riding this zone wave.  Since I'm not doing for weight, it is a VERY loose diet. I don't even think of it as a diet so much as a switch in thinking.   The interesting thing has been that as I have increased protein and fat and balanced out my sugar cravings.  Trust me---THEY ARE STILL THERE!  But it seems to keep me more balanced throughout the day.  When I first tried it, I did it too extreme (not enough sugar or carbs) and I literally almost fainted.  I found myself on the kitchen floor, almost blacking out.  Not really the point.  So, I've adjusted and introduced more carbs.  I don't worry too much about it when I'm friend's houses.  I kinda just eat what's there.  Sometimes, if we are celebrating, I forget the whole thing all together.  But in my days at home- the normal, slow-paced, controllable days, I can maintain it pretty well and it gives me a sense of balance.  

It feels like a breakthrough in my adult life to switch my eating habits in a very moderate and doable way without obsessing over it.  

And trust me, I have NOT given up frozen yogurt. :) 

2 comments:

crimsongold said...

yay, zone! I'm so proud of you for trying and succeeding, I might add, a new way of eating. You inspire me.

Bree said...

aw thanks, friend!